Saturday, September 25, 2010

Tokyo:The Fast and The Furious

Yes, yes, yes, I know this is long overdue! Japan has a serious lockdown on accessing free wireless but I have finally found the International Community House in Kyoto and will get all caught up on my Japan blogging! I've also changed my settings so I can now update from my phone--so get ready for blog update attacks :) So here goes...

After initial travel hiccups that delayed departure for a few days, I finally departed ORD for for NRT in BC (business class).  I knew I found the right portion of the plane when I was greeted with a glass of champagne to calm myself for the twelve hour flight.  After a glass (or two) of red wine and the luxury of watching trashy movies (Sex and the City 2, The Last Song and The A Team) I arrived in Tokyo.  The luxury continued as I hopped on the Airport Limousine to the hotel. That night I was able to meet up with my family I get the privilege of spending the next 10 months of my life with--my uncle Tim, aunt Megan, Hannah (12), Tess (10) and Samurai Sam (6). 


Tokyo makes the lights of Vegas look dim and the amount of people in Times Square insignificant as 35 million people call this city home.  Regardless of the time of day, hoards of people are continually coming at you by foot, bicycle or car.  We made our way through one train station that sees the entire population of Canada travel through their turnstyles a day (over 3 million people). My first day in Tokyo we visited the enormous fish market where somehow we managed to navigate through the narrow aisles without knocking anything over.  This was a great first stop for in the posts to come I will continue to talk about the scrumptious food of Japan. 

The Great Buddha

Outside of Hasedera
Great Buddha
After an hour train ride, we spent the rest of the afternoon in Kamakura. Here began the first of many Shinto shrines and Buddhist temples that we would visit while in Japan.  Our first stop was Hasedera, the largest wooden Buddha in Japan--with eleven heads and ornate accessories photos are not allowed but it truly was an amazing sight. We also visisted a Shinto shine where we could pray to a number of their 8 million gods--I of course chose the gods of family, fortune, education and sake :)  Next on our Buddha adventure was the one and only Great Buddha. This monumental outdoor bronze buddha truly baffled me at its size and beauty.  We finished this day in quite contrast as we walked through the Shinjuku District of Tokyo--truly the spot to be to spot the hottest new trends in both clothes and mens hairstyles.

The festivities continued as I celebrated my 26th birthday in Tokyo on Saturday.  I quite like celebrating 14 hours ahead as it may be the only time I am older than my twin brother Caleb and celebrate on the same day as my niece Vivian who's birthday is on the 10th. This might need to be a regular event from now on! I dont' think the day could have been much better as I was able to have Happy Birthday sung to me twice and through a lost in translation episode, eat three birthday cakes :) We savored our last day in Tokyo--visiting the Sony Center, massive shopping areas and an afternoon swimming. Not sure if I can top this one! Deuces Tokyo --onto Hakone!


No comments:

Post a Comment