Saturday, September 25, 2010

Tsumago, Matsumoto, Nagano, Yudanaka, Obuse


Tsumago main drag
  The next five days were a whirlwind of numerous cities and lots of sights to see! Tsumago, first on a list, is an old post town along the Nakasendo Highway, the ancient highway between Tokyo and Kyoto. Modern technology is nowhere to be seen in Tsumago--no street lights, telephone poles, etc. Although it rained most of our walk on the ancient highway we were able to see stunning views and the whole group was able to practice/perfect their haiku.  Sam's creation was probably my favorite..
"I am so tired. (5)
 Can we stop the walk right now? (7)
 Please, please, please, please, please." (5)
Nakasendo Highway
In addition to the haiku I was able to teach the kids the classic "Fifty Nifty United States" song which has been a big hit--obviously :) We continued our ryokan living in Tsumago as my body has gotten much more used to the small mats we sleep on and sitting cross legged on the floor for dinner.  The food contiues to amaze me--all seven courses of it.  In an effort to be polite, I continue to eat everything with my now speedy chopstick moves.  There was one dish I particularly enjoyed--a great combination of sweet flavor and crunchy texture.  Our server was happy to know that I enjoyed the wasp larvae so much!  I am having an amazing time with my family as we share numerous stories, games and good times with one another.  The kids seem to love the idea of playing Chubby Bunny and the card games Speed and Spoons are big hits. School is going quite well--although with such jam packed days we are squeezing a lot in!
 

Matsumoto Castle

After a quick train trip we ended up in Matsumoto for a quick one night stay.  We spent the afternoon visiting the famous Matsumoto Castle or "Crow's Castle" for its black exterior.  The size, numerous warrior windows, gun collections and steep staircases were impressive--the English tour definitely helped.  After a visit at the Matsumoto City Museum we were blown away by the handmade dolls--even me, not a big doll person :)


We continued to keep it moving as we hopped on a train towards Yudanaka.  However, with a layover in Nagano (home of the '98 Olympics) we stumbled upon a bus that could take us to the Ninja Theme Park.  With three giddy kids, we took the scenic bus ride up the Japanese Alps to Togakushi to visit the Ninja Park and the birthplace of soba noodles.  After I showed my natural ninja throwing star prowess we took in the sights of soba noodles being made and I decided I was definitely Team Soba Noodle (rather than Hannah's Team Udon Noodle). We finally made it to Yudanaka, famous for their snow monkeys.  In the morning we took a beautiful walk to visit the snow monkey park and everyone but Tim loved the little creatures!!  We finished the day in Obuse for some shopping, more noodles and their signature chestnut ice cream-YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment