Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sydney: New Years Eve and Beyond!


For the first twenty five New Years Eve celebrations in my life, I marveled at the tremendous fireworks and party Sydney put on to ring in the New Year. I could have only dreamed that one day I would be there to witness the festivities first hand and be able to celebrate 2011 sixteen hours before my friends and family in the Central time zone. With so many New Years options throughout the city, Megan planned an event filled  evening for us to experience this special night. We arrived at Doyle's on Watson's Bay, a Sydney icon, which allowed us to see the Sydney Harbour Bridge, six of the other barges which would release fireworks and stunning sunset views of the skyline. Our seafood dinner was superb, but the conversation and company even better. With so much to be thankful for in 2010 and so much to look forward to in 2011, we all shared something we had learned about ourselves in the past year and something we hope to work on in the upcoming one. Conversation ceased once the 9 pm family fireworks show illuminated the sky. We marveled at the length and enormity of the show, only to be told by the locals that it couldn't even compare to the midnight viewing. The restaurant continued to entertain us as magicians arrived, wine continued to be poured and the clock ticked closer to that special hour! With ten minutes to spare, we headed down to the beach to claim a front row seat. At exactly midnight, the music blared and the sky lit on fire! $6 million worth of fireworks emerged from six barges and missile like fireworks shot off from the Harbour Bridge, igniting the sky for over ten minutes. Over 1.5 million people stood on the beaches and streets of Sydney to take in this spectacular show and for those ten minutes stood arm in arm without a word! With a New Years celebration like this, I can hardly wait to see what 2011 has to offer :)  There was only one way for me to spend my first day of the new year--Manly Beach.  Apparently I wasn't the only genius with the bright idea, as thousands flocked to the sand to claim their towel space and open up the brew.  As I waited for the ferry to bring me back to the mainland, I hopped into the movie theater for a showing of The King's Speech, which was FANTASTIC!  I collapsed in bed, wiped out looking like a lobster face and saddened to think it would be our last night in Sydney.  

No comments:

Post a Comment