Saturday, October 9, 2010

Korea: It's Getting Hot In Here (My Mouth!)

Korean boyfriend in Busan
Using a ferry, 3 trains, a longer ferry and a super taxi we finally arrived in Busan, Korea. I arrived in Korea not knowing much about the culture, food or history and left wanting to spend more time there.  We only had 5 full days in Korea so there was not a moment to waste.  The ignorant American in me was expecting a small port town in Busan, as I had never heard of this city.  However, Busan is the second largest city in South Korea with over 4 million people.  We arrived late in Busan that night, yet still managed to hit the main drag in search of a dinner spot.  Immediately the English translations humored me--instead of "you are here" on a map it shows you an arrow at "your present situation". A popular restaurant spot in Busan called The Twosome Place boasts "delicious love making at your table" as their motto.  Our group opted out on the love making and instead dined at V.I.P's (Very Important Person's).  We got a glimpse into Korean fashion as we walked along the main drag on a Friday night--I was even able to pose for a photo with my new Korean boyfriend.

After city life for a night, we were on our way to Gyeongju-the ancient capitol of Korea from as far back as 57 BC. The entire city is named a world cultural heritage site and is correctly named "The Museum Without Walls" for around every turn is an ancient tomb, temple or artifact.  Aesthetically, the temples are much different than Japan.  The vibrantly painted structures and balance of yin and yang in the architecture made the temples unique and quite magnificent.  We completed our day in Gyeongju seeing the famous Bulguksa Temple, Seokguram Grotto, National Museum, Ancient Folkcraft Village and the Daereungwon Tomb Park.  After a day of serious sightseeing, we were all ready to let loose in a family karaoke session.  With an endless book of songs, our own room, two microphones and a tambourine, we delighted many with our diverse musical selections and beautiful voices.  I introduced the kids to my rendition of "Proud Mary" with choreographed dance moves, although the entire family's Jackson 5 "ABC" earned the top score of the night.  The music theme continued that night as I sat in the bar enjoying a well deserved post performance glass (or two) of red wine.  I couldn't take my eyes or ears away from the Korean lounge singer sensations "DeAnn and Buddy" singing Mariah Carey, Ace of Base, Backstreet Boys and Eric Clapton (only to name a few!).

Kimchi
We were off the next morning en route to the capitol of Seoul! Although it was hard to tear myself away from the hip and happening lobby of the W Hotel where we were staying, we hit Myeong Dong, a major shopping district.  The lights, the vendors, the hoards of people, the skyscrapers AND THE FOOD! It wouldn't be a blog entry without me talking about food--so here goes. While in Korea, I don't think my mouth ever stopped burning from the massive amount of chili peppers or chili pepper oil in everything.  One of the signature dishes is the kimchi--a fermented chili vegetable dish (cabbage, cucumber, radish, etc.).  The bulgogi (thinly sliced and seasoned Korean beef) and dumplings were equally as spicy and delicious.  My true moment of insanity came while eating the haejangguk--directly translated as "soup to chase a hangover".  After every bite I had to place a cold lettuce leaf on my lips to cool down the fire, only to finish the entire bowl with momentarily lettuce to the lips breaks. Although my blog would make it seem that I ate for the entire time in Seoul, we also visited the ancient imperial palace and caught a breathtaking view of the city while atop the Seoul Tower.  For a history lesson for both the kids and myself, we spent the afternoon at the Korean War Memorial and Museum.  It was a particularly interesting time to visit as 2010 marks the 60th anniversary of the beginning of the Korean War. 

Way too much to see and eat in just five days! Off to Hong Kong.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update. I feel as if I have gained about 10 pounds just reading all your blog entries. This has truly been an amazing culinary adventure as well!

    ReplyDelete