Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Waiheke Island, New Zealand February 3rd-7th

What do you think of when you envision Paradise Island? Sandy white beaches? Palm trees? From our four full days on Waiheke Island, I can strongly claim I may have found it.

Delamore Lodge
As I have said about so many places in New Zealand, it was sad to leave Queenstown.  Not having flown in a month, we hopped aboard a plane from Queenstown back to the bustling city of Auckland on the North Island.  After a quick nibble of sushi, we caught the thirty minute ferry ride to Waiheke Island, an island famous for its wineries and restaurants.  We were greeted at the ferry terminal by our driver and a display from the island sculpture walk entitled "Bare Bottoms".  Not a bad greeting at all.  As our driver pulled into the Delamore Lodge, I knew it would take a natural disaster or a winery meal to tear me away from this property.  Large reflecting pool overlooking the water, stunning flowers and jasmine trees, extravagant meals with fresh fruits and veg, complimentary appetizers and drinks every night at 6:30...need I say more.  My wishes came true and for the first two days, we didn't leave the hotel once! I finished two books, wrote several school lessons and ate.

Mudbrick Vineyards
By day three, we were ready to check out what the rest of the island had to offer.  Along the edge of the island, the Headland Sculpture walk provided both fascinating art by local Kiwis (massive lego Super Mario man) and gorgeous views of the island and beyond.  After we all submitted our vote for best piece of work, we walked inland to the Cable Bay winery.  Although delicious, it couldn't even come close to our meal at Te Whau Winery that night.  With a prime time location, several table visits by the owner and the most delicious lamb I'd had in New Zealand, Te Whau had overtaken the coveted "Best New Zealand Winery Experience" in my mind.  It would be short lived, as we spent our last meal in New Zealand at Mudbrick Vineyards, which took the top spot.  With lavender plants and fresh vegetable gardens surrounding each table, Mudbrick offered spectacular views, even better cuisine and my idea of a dream wedding location! As with any last night in a country, our family went around the table sharing our favorite hotel, experience, outdoor activity, lunch, dinner and more.  I honestly can say, I fell in love with New Zealand!

1 comment: